[Koha-devel] Re: Koha

Pat Eyler pate at eylerfamily.org
Tue Sep 3 11:27:05 CEST 2002

On Tue, 3 Sep 2002, rob caSSon wrote:

> pat,
>
> one other thing....on the linuxtoday site, there was a reply to my post
> suggesting the use of a multivalue database as the basis for a library
> catalog....have you any experience with these?

Yeah, they're talking about PICK or derivatives.  Many of the available
ILS are written in some form of PICK, including Dynix (where I worked ~10
years ago).

> don't think it would be sensible/feasible to redo koha to use this kind of
> technology, but an interesting idea nonetheless....i've spent some time
> looking at documentation/examples, and looks conceptually similar to marc
> right out of the box....

It is.  PICK was developed to support the US Army MILPERCEN folks.  The
official army cataloging tool is very MARC-like, so I'm sure that's why
many commercial vendors use it.

You're right though.  Koha is really too far along to try and rewrite
using a new flavor of DBMS, especially one as far removed from RDMS which
we all know fairly well.

> an opensource (LGPL'd) product is available here, and is still under
> development (isn't everything ;):
>
> 	http://www.maverick-dbms.org/

Wow ... that's almost as twisted as GNU Cobol.  ;)

> anyway, just thought i'd pass on some interesting info,

thanks, I'll CC the koha-devel list on this reply.

-pate

> rob

Pat Eyler
Kaitiaki/manager               migrant Linux sys admin
the Koha project               ruby, shell, and perl geek
http://www.koha.org            http://pate.eylerfamily.org