[Koha-devel] RC11 searching, more comments.

rbrown64 at csc.com.au rbrown64 at csc.com.au
Wed Sep 11 20:54:02 CEST 2002

MySql seems to be robust with respect to unbackslashed apostrophe '
characters.
According to the SQL standard, you quote apostrophe characters by doubling
them up
- I don't have the mysql documentation handy to know whether backslashing
should work.
I haven't added an entry to check that searching for something like "It's
isn't" would find anything.

(This is testing with the librarian interface - assuming that the public
interface is the same).
The searches don't seem to guard the input string except to require it to
be non-blank.
This means that searches like "%" or "_" as SQL wildcards will select all
rows and single letter
searches would select all rows on which a searched column contains a word
beginning with that
letter. Similar single common words "the", .... could give large result
sets.
This could be slow and expensive on large databases.

On the sample database, when the list of results wouldn't fit on one page,
moving to the
particular page using
the numbers gave a nothing found page.
(I'm running on Debian so this could be associated with MySQL version if it
isn't repeatable).