[Koha-devel] From the Kaitiaki

Pat Eyler pate at eylerfamily.org
Mon Sep 16 05:39:03 CEST 2002

On Sat, 14 Sep 2002, Ambrose Li wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Sun, Sep 15, 2002 at 03:24:44AM +0530, Saiful Amin wrote:
>
> > I don't know what is m18n.  The term 'multilingual documents'
> > might have been ambiguous.  I meant cataloguing and search of
> > documents in more than one language.  The library for which I
> > worked for 5 years (I'm studying on deputation) had collection
> > in three languages -- English, Bengali, and Hindi.  I was
> > interested in how to catalague and give an integrated search
> > interface to the entire collection.
>
> "m17n" (not "m18n") means "multilingualization" (17 letters
> between "m" and "n").  (There is also "i18n", which means
> "internationalization", and "l10n", which means "localization".
> Translating Koha into Indian languages would be "l10n", not
> "m17n".)

thanks for the gentle correction.  I normally mix the two pretty badly.

> The library I work with is also in such a situation; we have
> books in Chinese and English, plus a few French books. And a lot
> of books are in both Chinese and English (Chinese and English
> titles and/or content).
>
> I thought New Zealand also have multilingual collections; how is
> Koha handling such collections in New Zealand?

I think that this is one of the areas where Koha can begin to shine.  It
will take some work to get there though.  Are there any m17n/i18n/l10n
gurus out there who want to start thinking about what we need to do to get
there?

On a related topic, there are a number of porjects that I think would have
wide appeal to libraries.  Does anyone have any ideas how we can make
co-sponsoring projects more attractive to libraries?  One thought that I
had was to scope the projects and lay out a series of milestones.
Libraries could then contribute to a 'bounty' for hitting those
milestones.  A method for distributing the money correctly is not entirely
clear though.  Thoughts?

thanks,
-pate