[Koha-devel] Reviewing Directory Structure

Finlay Thompson finlay at katipo.co.nz
Tue Sep 17 17:05:09 CEST 2002

Hi Chris, Roger and everyone else,

I have been thinking about this issue as well.

As part of the get-everything-templated program it has become necessary
to rationalise the file system structure in koha.

> > Are the 'opac' and 'intranet' designed to be installed as 'stand-alone'
> > on physically separate servers?
> >
> > If designed to support optional 'stand-alone', then I don't think the
> > existing installation would support that. The OPAC relies on stuff
> > stored in the 'intranet' folders.

At present the opac-intranet divide has certainly become blury! however
with respect to what chris has said:
> So the aim is to make it possible/easy for big libraries to use koha while
> not making it hard for small ones.

Spreading server loads and allowing for a little more security, I think
we should attempt to reinforce the opac / intranet divide.

As I reoganise the opac I am attempting to make it as stand alone as
possible. The only thing they should share is the database.

To this end I propose the following structure for the opac servers file
system...

<server root>/cgi-bin/<opac only scripts>

I dont see the problem with having multiple copies of some of the images
and includes if they are the same accross different theme/lang settings.
If you were really worried we could put some sym-links in?

Note that all this stuff is only intended for the opac. I.e. non of
these files will have settings like "$type = 'opac' | 'intra' "

That just leads to too much complication, and ties the opac and the
intranet together, which is what we want to avoid.

I will also attemp to renaim all the scripts and template files so that
they have the same name just different suffix:
opac-search.pl  goes with opac-search.tmpl

and if there is a search.pl in the intranet and a search.pl in the opac
I think they should be renamed opac-search.pl and intra-search.pl.

It doesnt matter if these two files do almost the same thing, we want
them to be seperate.

With regards themes and language settings. I think we should expect that
the themes in the intranet and in the opac might be quite different. For
example there might be a "junior" theme for the opac, set up in the
childrens section of the library. And there might be a "frontdesk" theme
in the intranet for the front desk only.

So in cvs I think we will need to keep these seperate. We can follow
Dorian's lead and have:

koha-tmpl/intranet-tmpl/<theme>/<lang>/
koha-tmpl/opac-tmpl/<theme>/<lang>/

for all the templates.

in the main branch we have all the cgi-bin stuff mixed together. I think
this is a little confusing. We can put the opac stuff in the koha/opac/
directory?

At the moment I have put the template-only opac scripts into a
koha/tmpl/ directory, that I will move into koha/opac/ when its ready.
(which it basically is)

All the C4 modules can be shared byt the opac and intranet. Dont see any
reaon to keep them seperate?

Systempreferences:

We need to get a standard list of system preferences.

I will write another email about that as this one has gotten quite long
enough :-)

Finlay