[Koha-devel] Z39.50 Search Tool page broken in 1.3.0

paul POULAIN paul.poulain at free.fr
Mon Sep 30 00:38:04 CEST 2002

Tom Schutter wrote:

> Aha.  Thanks.
>
> On 2002-09-27 11:07 "Eyler, Patrick" wrote:
>
>> Tom,
>> This is part of the simple acquisitions stuff that is known to be
>> non-working.  I am hoping that it will be ready in 1.3.1 ... we shall
>> see.

The simple acquisition system won't work in 1.3.1 too...
I explain why ?
OK i do :

The 1.2.x simple acquisition script drops fields that are not used in
the old-DB (the non-MARC one). In 1.4, we will still store datas in
old-DB, but in MARC-DB too.
Thus, the marcimport must be rewritten (almost completely), and we need
some GUI before it can be done.

My plan is :
* 1.3.1 : beginning of GUI : MARC show record and MARC manual add. Maybe
through systempref table, to choose wether normal or MARC
* 1.3.2 : better integration of MARC
* 1.3.3 : marcimport
* 1.3.4 : MARC search
* 1.3.5 => 1.4.0
(note :   bugfixes at all times ;-) )

About marcimport :
I plan to modify how koha works :
marc-imported datas will be stored in a "waiting" table in MARC format.
when the librarian wants to add a new book in koha, he hits the ISBN,
and if the ISBN is known in the "waiting" table, the MARC record is
called, added in the koha MARC-DB and deleted from the "waiting" one.
Thus, we can do a batch import x00 000 of biblios and fastens the future
librarian job ;-)

Note for pate : this is one of the discussion we had on the french
list... One other being about authorities, and the last about
translation (who do what)

Thus bulkmarcimport (from steve) will still be usefull when a library
migrates from ProprietaryOrOldSoft to Koha.
--
Paul