[Koha-devel] Open Source or Free Software?

Chris Cormack chris at katipo.co.nz
Tue Apr 22 04:14:05 CEST 2003

On Tue, Apr 22, 2003 at 11:02:36AM -0000, MJ Ray said:
> Rachel Hamilton-Williams <rachel at katipo.co.nz> wrote:
> > I am aware that almost always there is cost to a library to implement
> > Koha - particularly to a big public library (always our goal). So
> > we thought that Open Source was more "accurate" than Free.  We also
> > are aware that large organisations very much evaluate software on a
> > "you get what you pay for" basis - so we thought that *not* saying
> > Koha was Free might at least get us a look in.
>
> Isn't it simpler to remind people of the free/free duality than to explain
> the very long OSI OSD?  Or do you just wave hands and not explain to them
> at all the flexibility and rights that you are offering?  "Open Source"
> is not a particularly accurate description of the OSI OSD.
>
> > At the time we were the first Open Source library system - but not
> > the first Free one - so to get that Kudos, we wanted to be Open Source.
>
> What previous free software licensed library systems have existed?
> Why were they not open source too?  I've yet to see software meeting
> the Free Software Definition that doesn't meet the Open Source Definition.

In this case Rachel was meaning Free as in free beer.
There are other free (in cost) library systems. And Rachel and Rosalie
wanted to make the distinction that it was free software (in the way you and
I understand)

The easiest way to do this on the front page of the koha site, in a simple
way that most people understand was to use the term Open Source.

Having said that, as I said before I refer to Koha as Free Software, or Open
Source, depending on who im talking to. Which I think is the best solution.
As long as people understand its licensed under the GPL and what that
entails .. i dont really mind what its called :-)

Chris
027 4500 789                                       Katipo Communications Ltd
chris at katipo.co.nz                                          www.katipo.co.nz