[Koha-devel] Open Source or Free Software?

MJ Ray markj at cloaked.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Apr 22 14:52:07 CEST 2003

On 2003-04-22 22:25:44 +0100 Chris Cormack <chris at katipo.co.nz> wrote:

>> OK, fair enough, but that's not free software, as was being
>> discussed.
> Yep, which kinda demonstrates one of the weaknesses in the term free
> software.
> As you say below, its all about the explanation, not the term :)

I think it demonstrates the weakness of the argument for "open source"
that its supporters still rely on the free/free duality even though
the denial of their trademark established the many meanings of the
words open and source. ;-)

> Ahh yeah, but if I was describing Koha to a Maori audience, id use
> the term Koha, a concept honed over thousands of years :-)

Much nicer, indeed, but Maori audiences are rare over here ;-)  (Also,
gift is not exactly the same in all cases of free software, but
accurate here.)

[...]
> So you can call it Free Software, I can call it Koha, Rachel can call
> it
> Open Source [...]

That's fine.  I currently use the "download koha" graphic that is free
of the branding, but it would be very nice to get rid of the open
source branding from the site, or at least acknowledge the main
movement too.  Not a high priority, though.

MJR   http://mjr.towers.org.uk/   IM: slef at jabber.at
      This is my home web site.   This for Jabber Messaging.

How's my writing? Let me know via any of my contact details.