[Koha-devel] More about member searches

Andrew Arensburger arensb+koha-devel at ooblick.com
Fri Apr 25 10:54:04 CEST 2003

On Fri, 25 Apr 2003, Owen Leonard wrote:
> Another question about member searches:
>
> If you search for 'smith, j' names returned will include:
>
> Smith, Brian J.
> Smith, Bobbi J.
>
> as well as:
>
> Smith, James
> Smith, Jacob
>
> I would expect the latter, but not the former.  I assumed that the search was
> looking for first names *beginning with* J, not just including J as a keyword.
> I would consider the 'beginning with' search to be preferable.

	It looks to me as if you _are_ getting the results of a "word
begins with ..." search (i.e., you're getting all members who have a name
that begins with "smith" and a word that begins with "j").
	And IMHO searching by middle name or initial, or even nickname
makes sense. I know a number of people who go by their middle names (and,
in one extreme case, Vernon Lee Last-name-withheld goes by "Skip").

	At any rate, Koha's behavior above seems intuitive to me. Maybe my
intuition is different from yours.

--
Andrew Arensburger                      Actually, these _do_ represent the
arensb at ooblick.com                      opinions of ooblick.com!