[Koha-devel] Not sure how to contribute, but I thought I'd share.

Pat Eyler pate at eylerfamily.org
Tue Aug 5 16:14:14 CEST 2003

On Tue, 5 Aug 2003, Collins, Jeremy wrote:

Hi Jeremy,
welcome to the project!  I think this is a great contribution, and I'll
look forward to seeing more as you start doing things with Koha.  I've got
a couple of quick questions for you though:

  Are you looking at migrating to version 2.0.0 when it comes out?

  Are you interested in working with the 2.0.0preX releases?

  Would you mind registering your library at
http://www.saas.nsw.edu.au/wiki/index.php?page=KohaUsers -- it'd be good
to show other libraries that people are using Koha.

  Are you subscribed to the koha mailing list?  It's a great place to
communicate with other folks using Koha, comparing notes, and what-not.

> I've never contributed code to an Open Source project before so if I'm
> doing it all wrong I'm sorry. I work for an adult learning center (state
> funded basic education for adults) with a small library. We just
> downloaded and installed Koha and it looks great. The z3950 search tool
> didn't function quite as we expected. We were hoping to be able to use a
> barcode scanner to read the barcode and start the search, but the form
> only takes ISBN and the barcode is EAN (which has 8 of the ISBN digits
> encoded in it). We modified
> '/koha/intranet/cgi-bin/acqui.simple/marcimport.pl ' so that if the ISBN
> query was 13 digits instead of 9, then convert the 13 digit EAN to a 9
> digit ISBN before its submitted to the queue. It seems to be working,
> but we aren't using any other part of the search so I'm not sure how
> well the patch works. I'm attaching a diff of the changes in case those
> in charge decide they would like them or if anyone else on the list can
> use them. Again if this isn't the right place, or more information is
> needed please let me know. Thanks for such a great, open source software
> package.

Thank you for getting involved.  If you think you'll continue to
contribute code to Koha, I'd recommend that you subscribe to the
koha-devel mailing list, and that you get a sourceforge account and let me
know what it is so that I can get you set up as a developer on the
project.

-pate

> Jeremy Collins
> collins_jeremy at rsccd.org
> Continuing Education Orange Center
> Santiago Canyon College
> Rancho Santiago Community College District

Pat Eyler
Kaitiaki/manager               migrant Linux sys admin
the Koha project               ruby, shell, and perl geek
http://www.koha.org            http://pate.eylerfamily.org