[Koha-devel] Koha and testing

Ed Summers ehs at pobox.com
Wed Jan 8 06:57:07 CET 2003

> I agree with you in spirit. However, what version of Perl are you
> expecting users to have installed? Some Koha code has 'use warnings'
> pounded out in favor of -w on the #! line, with a comment that
> warnings.pm is not available in Perls lower than 5.6.0. Other Koha code
> has 'require 5.6.1' in it. Quite contradictory.

Agreed, having a baseline Perl version is a good idea.

> Now we're talking about using a module that's standard as of Perl 5.8.
> That means non-standard with Perl 5.6, non-standard with Perl 5.0.

The misc/Installer.pm has a function checkperlmodules() which runs through the
modules that need to be installed. I think you are right, we shouldn't rely on
people having Perl 5.8, but we can recommend they install Test::More,
Test::Unit, or whatever if they don't already have it.

> So - what's the minimum version of Perl that people should be coding
> for? Should Koha be backwards compatible to Perl 5.0?

I would recommend Perl 5.6.1 ( 5.6.0 was a buggy release of Perl). But I'm not
as familiar with the code base as the others on this list.

//Ed

PS. I'd be interested in hearing what your motivation was for creating another
testing framework and how it is different from Schwern's Test::More.

--

% perl -MData::Dumper -e "print Dumper($me)"
$VAR1 = {