[Koha-devel] translation complaint...

Chris Cormack chris at katipo.co.nz
Tue Jan 28 18:37:04 CET 2003

On Wed, Jan 29, 2003 at 03:01:36AM +0100, Benedict said:
> HI,
> I want to stress that I am not a programmer but I happened to had
> participated in a couple of translation projects all of which
> originating from the linux world.
> None of them would rely on files tossed around the project but rather
> they would have separate files, sigled out and being specifically of the
> type of "language" files.
> Take for example the "LearningAccess" clone of Koha (I did not
> participate in that projects). They deviced a mechanism in PHP that
> allowed the translators just to translate the "language" files into
> their own languages.

Hi Benedict

You make some valid points, there have been some breakdowns in the way the
templates have been translated.
I think that the main difference here is though, the templates are not only
for language translation.
But also for themes. Which complicates things.

The other thing with using templates, over the use of say gettext is that it
doesnt introduce an OS bias.
which may or may not be a good thing :)

Just some thoughts.
My main impression is though, that it is the process that is wrong, not the
method.
IE the way templates are being maintained is bad, not the idea of using
templates.

Im sure all the other developers have comments.

Chris
025 500 789                                        Katipo Communications Ltd
chris at katipo.co.nz                                          www.katipo.co.nz