[Koha-devel] installing Net::Z3950

Mike Mylonas dragon28 at ihug.co.nz
Wed Jan 29 21:25:02 CET 2003

On Thu, 2003-01-30 at 14:43, Louella Santiago wrote:

> i've been trying to install koha these past weeks with no success. when i ran
> perl installer.pl, i was told that Net::Z3950 module is missing. i then tried
> the perl -MCPAN -e 'install Net::Z3950'

See if this message helps ...Taken from the Net-z3950 mailling list
see http://www.indexdata.dk/pipermail/net-z3950/2003-January/000204.html

[Net-z3950] Event module fails to build (in perl 5.8) solution
Ran Rubinstein ranrub at md.huji.ac.il
Thu, 16 Jan 2003 15:43:24 +0200

I think this problem is perl 5.8 specific - anyway it took time but now
i'm installed on my RedHat 8.0 machine.

In contrast to mandrake and debian, I did not find a RedHat binary for
Event-0.86. For building Event from source, I edited Event-0.86/c/var.c,
and added two pTHX_IV denominators:
1. change the line
"static I32 tracevar_r(IV ix, SV *sv)"
"static I32 tracevar_r(pTHX_ IV ix, SV *sv)"
2. change the line
"static I32 tracevar_w(IV ix, SV *sv)"
"static I32 tracevar_w(pTHX_ IV ix, SV *sv)"
make, make test (works!!!), make install.
This method was taken from the debian package libevent-perl.deb

z3950 still won't compile after this, but Mr. Huhtala was kind to
provide me with the solution he eventually found:

"after uncompressing I edited Net-Z3950-0.31/yazwrap/Makefile.PL file:

I changed line
'CCFLAGS'   => $defaultCCFLAGS . ' -Wall',
'CCFLAGS'   => $defaultCCFLAGS . ' -Wall -D_GNU_SOURCE',
"

perl Makefile.PL, make, make test, make install

Thanks to Ville Huhtala for providing the solution to building z3950,
and to the debian contributor Steve Kowalik for supplying a working
libevent-perl deb for perl 5.8.