[Koha-devel] Use of "my $dbh=C4Connect;"

Chris Cormack chris at katipo.co.nz
Tue Mar 25 14:08:04 CET 2003

Hi Larry

If you take a look at C4::Database, you'll find that the C4Connect routine
returns you $dbh handler using a call similair to your perl below.
This of C4Connect as being a wrapper, so that you dont need to replicate the
same piece of code in every script that needs to connect to the db.

Having said that, C4::Database is in the process of being deprecated and you
should use C4::Context.

So the syntax is
use C4::Context;
my $dbh= C4::Context->dbh;

Chris

On Tue, Mar 25, 2003 at 02:02:07PM -0800, Larry Currie said:
> We're developing a script to load data for the biblio, biblioitems, and
> items tables of the koha MySQL database using DBI and we're wondering
> what to use for our database handle.  I can see that in a number of the
> koha scripts the command
>
> my $dbh=C4Connect;
>
> is used to establish the connection to the koha database and that the
> command lines
>
> use C4::Database;          and
> use C4::Input;
>
> are inserted at the top of the scripts.
>
> The DBI documentation, however, instructs you to use the following
> database handle command:
>
> my $dbh = DBI->connect("dbi:DriverName:db_name", $user, $password)
>    or die "Can't connect to $data_source: $DBI::errstr";
>
> Can someone help us to reconcile these two methods or instruct us on how
> we should be connecting to the koha database to perform our INSERT
> commands?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Larry Currie
>
> --
> Lawrence W. Currie
> User Services Librarian
> California Academy of Sciences
> Golden Gate Park
> San Francisco, CA 94118
> lcurrie at calacademy.org
> (415) 750-7108
> (415) 750-7106 fax
> http://www.calacademy.org/research/library/

027 4500 789                                       Katipo Communications Ltd
chris at katipo.co.nz                                          www.katipo.co.nz