[Koha-devel] Handling forms

paul POULAIN paul.poulain at free.fr
Mon May 5 02:47:17 CEST 2003

Owen Leonard wrote:

>I'm not sure if it's handled the same everywhere, but in the process for adding
>a new member, if you leave something blank, an error page tells you to hit the
>back button and correct the mistake.

No. It's a specific method. that's one of the problem with cathedral and
bazaar : everybody has it's own rules to code, and sometimes, we reach a
non-coherent GUI or code...

>The way I try to build such pages in PHP is to have the page submit to itself,
>and if there are errors, the form can be redisplayed with the submitted values,
>and error messages can be added by each mistake.  This makes it much clearer
>for the user (by marking each mistake where it was made), and prevents the
>possiblity of the form being empty when you hit the back button.

you're completly right ! It's done like this in some places in Koha anyway.

>Would this be possible with Perl and HTML::Template?  I think it's a much more
>user-friendly system, if so.

Of course, it's possible.
There are many improvements that can be done in Koha.
If you think this one is important, feel free to add a bug in
bugs.koha.org, (as "improvment", low priority), and it will be done once
blocking or major bugs are solved.

--
Paul POULAIN