[Koha-devel] Frustrated trying to install 1.9.2

MJ Ray markj at cloaked.freeserve.co.uk
Tue May 6 16:44:11 CEST 2003

I've been defeated by the koha installation, too.  This email is a summary
of the problems.  It's not in the bug tracker, as some of these might be
my errors and no-one has answered the last bug I put there yet.  This is
written in the absolute, but please don't take offence: correct me.

1. I don't want to install as root.  There is no need for it to install as
root, is there?  sudo or su could be used for the bare minimum of pieces.

Mike Hansen sent me a modified installer.pl to try as a normal user.  Thanks.

2. The installer has defaults marked in the opposite way to normal, I think.
A prompt of (Y/[N]) is used when the default is Y.

3. It tries to write to the apache config file.  I use apache2 on debian,
which lets each vhost have its own config file.  In any case, it should be
writing a file to be Include-d in, not splatting the master config.

4. It asks for the db admin password, then tries to connect as the current
user without that password to create the db, which (unsurprisingly) fails.

5. It does a very long chown with no way to avoid it.  This isn't needed for
some (most?) web server configurations.

Sadly, I'm left without the apache config or the database, so there's not
much of koha installed and no manual installation docs to work from.

Hope you can help,
MJR   http://mjr.towers.org.uk/   IM: slef at jabber.at
      This is my home web site.   This for Jabber Messaging.

How's my writing? Let me know via any of my contact details.