[Koha-devel] branchcategories => what's done for ?

Chris Cormack chris at katipo.co.nz
Fri May 9 16:01:01 CEST 2003

Ah ha

Yay for changelogs.
Here we go

        * updater/updatedatabase: added database patchs to the
	updater/updatedatabase script

	changes the type of the datesent and datearrived
	fields in the
        branchtransfers table from date to datetime.

	completely re-organises the branchcategories table. As this has
	previously been unused it shouldnt effect anyone

As far as I can tell tho, it still isnt being used, apart from storing what
the categories are eg for HLT we have

mysql> select * from branchcategories;
+--------------+--------------+------------------------------+
| categorycode | categoryname | codedescription              |
+--------------+--------------+------------------------------+
| IS           | Issuing      | Can issue books              |
| PE           | Permanent    | Return Item to Home Branch   |
| HO           | Home         | Can be set as Home branch    |
| CU           | Current      | Can be set as Current branch |
+--------------+--------------+------------------------------+

I think its meant to be used in the admin/branches.pl script so that when
people set the category for their branch, they can be presented with this
information that tells them what each category means.

At HLT, they have branches like FM = Foxton Mending .. where a book lives
when its waiting to be fixed.
Now you cant issue from FM and you cant set it as a Home branch, or a
Permanent branch, but you can set an items current branch to FM, so branch
FM would have category CU,

select * from branchrelations where branchcode ='FM';
+------------+--------------+
| branchcode | categorycode |
+------------+--------------+
| FM         | CU           |
+------------+--------------+

Thus Koha knows in circulation, I cant offer this as a branch to issue from,
or return too.
But in branchtransfers I can let a librarian transfer to this branch.

Now the also have branch F (Foxton),
 select * from branchrelations where branchcode ='F';
 +------------+--------------+
 | branchcode | categorycode |
 +------------+--------------+
 | F          | IS           |
 | F          | CU           |
 +------------+--------------+

Which can issue books. And can be a current branch. It cant be the items
permanent branch or home branch.
They have FP (foxton permanent for that)

What this means is you can set an items Home branch as say LP (Levin
Permanent). Which will mean it can be issued, returned, transferred around
other branches. But always belongs back in Levin.

I hope this makes it somewhat clearer, and that I have explained it.

Rosalie may have some comments too.

Chris

On Fri, May 09, 2003 at 10:23:30PM +0200, paul POULAIN said:
> I spend a few minuts on bug #377 and related.
> I want to know what the branchcategories table is done for. It seems to
> be unused :
> * branchcategories has a row "categorycode".
> * branchrelation has a branchcode and a categorycode row. It means it's
> a relation between branches and branchcategories.
>
> but...
> Those infos seems to be used nowhere (a grep "branchrelations" and grep
> "branchcategories" reports values in installer and admin script only) .
>
> So, unless someone (katipo ?) explain what it's supposed to do (and
> where :-) ), it will be dropped soon...
>
> --
> Paul POULAIN
> Consultant ind?pendant en logiciels libres
> responsable francophone de koha (SIGB libre http://www.koha-fr.org)

027 4500 789                                       Katipo Communications Ltd
chris at katipo.co.nz                                          www.katipo.co.nz