[Koha-devel] Re: Koha documents?

paul POULAIN paul.poulain at free.fr
Wed Nov 5 01:08:13 CET 2003

Pat Eyler wrote:

>>Let's make first a dichotomy: database subsystem, other parts of the Koha
>>system.
>>Do you have any description of the database objects? I suppose it's a
>>relational database with tables etc. Which are the tables, fields, field
>>definitions? Are there other database objects the Koha system uses? Views?
>>Procedures? How are they named? Does koha.mysql give the answer?
>>

>Yes, we use MySQL to handle the RDBMS.  There aren't yet good documents on
>the database design.  We aren't yet using views, stored procedures, or
>similar DB functionality.

we aren't using views/stored proc because mySQL doesn't handle them :-)
I think that's the best reason :-)

>>Next there must be an interface (Naming of database objects constitutes part
>>of this interface) between database and the other parts of the system?
>>How is this designed and implemented? ODBC? If Koha is written in Perl and
>>HTML,
>>what is the communication mechanism with database?
>>

>You could consider Koha to use three tiers:
>
>   presentation     (HTML generated from perl and HTML::Template)
>   business logic   (Perl and DBI)
>   database         (MySQL)

you can divide the business logic in 2 subparts :
- .pl scripts that builds pages & call .pm for DB stuff
- .pm in C4 directory that are used for all DB access (except for admin
scripts : i did those script when i begun my involvement in Koha, and
had missed the .pm theory)

>>We can also describe the deployment of subsystems and components according
>>to machines
>>(clients, servers). Does everything happen on one machine? DBMS on one
>>machine,
>>Apache and Perl on another? Are there any client components? Is Koha
>>browser independent?
>>

>Koha proper runs on a single server (there's no reason you couldn't split
>this out though -- again one of the 2.2 goals is to make this easier).
>The only client component is a web browser.  We've tried to stay browser
>independant, but there is currently a bit of javascript on some pages
>which limits us a little bit -- I don't think most libraries would be
>running the borwsers that don't play well with javascript.

* Apache & Perl on differents servers, i don't know if it's possible. If
you need high scalability, you can always have X front end servers
(apache/perl), accessing 1 mySQL server (for data consistency), and use
dns round-robin on front-ends.
* Javascript is used in MARC editor, and not "a little". This is a "must
have".

--
Paul POULAIN