[Koha-devel] biblio deletion

Chris Cormack chris at katipo.co.nz
Wed Oct 22 00:53:10 CEST 2003

On Tue, Oct 21, 2003 at 05:10:13PM +0200, paul POULAIN said:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm working on biblio deletion in Koha.
> There are some very annoying bugs in deletion in 1.2.x code, that I want
> to clean.
> The deleted biblio is copied into a "deletedbiblio" table, for historic
> purposes. Note that there is no way to transfer the biblio back to
> "active DB". And it's a little buggy : the biblio can be deleted without
> the biblioitems :-\ (see delbiblio.pl & sub delbiblio in C4/Biblio.pm).
> and you can delete a biblioitem with items attached (deletebiblioitems.pl)
>
> I propose the following feature :
> * a confirmation is needed before any deletion.

Yep

> * delete can be done on biblio or items. If done on biblio, biblioitem
> and items are deleted too.

Currently it wont let you delete a biblio that has items attached, or has
orders for more items on it.

> * deleted biblios are no more stored in deletedbiblio tables : because
> there is no MARC deletedbiblio, no way to restore a biblio, I think it's
> a feature we could introduce in a future version of Koha.

Can we leave them storing them there anyway. I have had to move biblios back
from deleted before for HLT. When an item is long long overdue, and is marked
lost, after a while they delete the item and if they dont/cant buy a
replacement, they delete the biblio too. Then suddenly the item is returned.
Being able to run some sql to move the data out of deletedbiblio is lot
faster than having them recatalog.

Basically I never throw away data, as soon as you do  .. its needed again.
So if we could still store the data somewhere that would be good.

> * deletion require a "superlibrarian" flag, to avoid any librarian
> deleting biblios.

Yep, I think that would work.

Chris
027 4500 789                                       Katipo Communications Ltd
chris at katipo.co.nz                                          www.katipo.co.nz