[Koha-devel] Getting rid of z3950 daemons

paul POULAIN paul.poulain at free.fr
Mon Sep 29 00:27:04 CEST 2003

MJ Ray wrote:

> Why is the z3950 daemon needed?

The initial author of the daemon is steve tonnessen.
How it works ?
* the daemon looks at the z3950queue table. If he finds a row that
hasn't been spawned into z3950results, he spawns it.
* the daemon looks at the z3950results table. If he finds a row that has
not been "forked", he forks. In the new process, he calls the
z3950server, and when he get answers, he saves them in the marc_breeding
table (this being my contribution)

there is an annoying bug in the spawn process : if the server name has
spaces, he is divided in X differents server calls, which all fails.

> What steps are needed to get rid of it?

imho, it's mandatory, as z3950 may be very slow, so we need to have
asynchronous requests.

> Is it possible to run one per server instead of one per koha
> installation?

The daemon use koha.conf file to find DB, user & password. I don't know
how to change this behaviour & have more than 1 .conf file.

--
Paul POULAIN