[Koha-devel] Getting rid of z3950 daemons

paul POULAIN paul.poulain at free.fr
Tue Sep 30 07:16:09 CEST 2003

MJ Ray wrote:

> Thanks for the explanation, Paul.
>
> On 2003-09-29 08:32:40 +0100 paul POULAIN <paul.poulain at free.fr> wrote:
>
>>> What steps are needed to get rid of it?
>>
>> imho, it's mandatory, as z3950 may be very slow, so we need to have
>> asynchronous requests.
>
> How slow?  Slower than the normal apache maximum runtime?

Possible.
but that's not the problem : if enters 4 z3950, we shouldn't wait for 4
synchronous answers before sending him something. It would need 4-8 seconds.
the daemon solution gives a "blank screen" to the user, saying "Koha is
working", then answers are shown as soon as they arrive.

It's more a human patience problem than a Apache one :-)

> Is it possible to run one per server instead of one per koha
> installation?
>
>> The daemon use koha.conf file to find DB, user & password. I don't
>> know how to change this behaviour & have more than 1 .conf file.
>
> Is there an obvious reason not to use sockets and give the daemon its
> own database config?

I don't know. Probably not. Ask steve Tonnesen ?

--
Paul POULAIN