[Koha-devel] Re: diego salcedo - information about library???

Pat Eyler pate at eylerfamily.org
Tue Feb 10 08:13:04 CET 2004

On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 diego at sous.com.br wrote:

> Hello Pat.

Hi Diego,  (I'm Cc:ing the koha-devel list so that you can 'meet'
everyone.)

> My name is Diego Salcedo, an Information Science student
> at Pernambuco´s Federal University.
> Pernambuco is one of the brazilians states and it´s
> located northeast of the South American continent.
>
> I have recieved a letter from a friend in Spain giving to
> me your library link to enter and find out how does this
> software works.
>
> In this mesage you say that somebody allready have
> translated it to portuguese.
> Do you have this person contact (email) so I may access
> his/her web page??

All I have is this URL:
http://www.biblioteca.amparo.sp.gov.br/cgi-bin/koha/opac-search.pl

> Any way, one of my projects with a profesor of mine is
> working on translating and implementing new components
> (logic development) to the new version of the Digital
> Library from Latina America and Caribe, for UNESCO.

Cool!  The folks at Katipo have been doing some work with UNIDO in Europe,
maybe there is some common ground that can be leveraged.

> But I am also very interested in helping your library
> system to improve and to pursue more users around Brazil.

I'd love to see that happen.  There is a portuguese language mailing list
and a spanish one (more useful for non-Brasilian Latin America).  You can
subscribe to them by sending email to:
   koha-subscribe at es.koha.com
   koha-subscribe at br.koha.com

> Therefore if I cannot find this brazilian translated
> version, I will start translating it my self using the
> college´s computers wich I already have the profesors
> permition
> to use for this particular purpose.

That sounds excellent.

> This next week I will download the version and will start
> studying it.
> If I find anything interesting or if I have any doubts
> would you mind explaining them to me???

You should probably talk to Paul Poulain about translations, as he's the
resident expert.

thanks,
-pate