[Koha-devel] Website Homepage

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Thu Aug 4 16:05:09 CEST 2005

Joshua Ferraro <jmf at liblime.com> wrote:
> Here's what I propose:
>
> Koha (Maori for "Gift") is the first open-source Integrated Library
> System (ILS). Developed initially in New Zealand by Katipo Communications
> Ltd. and first deployed in January of 2000, it is currently maintained
> by a team of software providers and library technology staff from around
> the globe. Koha offers a full-featured ILS including a catalog, OPAC,
> circulation, cataloging and administration components.

Sorry, I dislike it. The ()s start too early, it emphasises
buzzwords over features and some features mentioned (like first
deployment) don't seem particularly strong to me. That said, I'm
not a librarian (maybe devel.koha.org will be aimed at me?) and
I will promote my own page at least as long as koha.org only says
the ambiguous "open-source". For comparison, here's the current
(not live) first part of my page:

koha, top free software integrated library system

Koha is a full catalogue, opac, circulation and acquisitions
system. It was created by Katipo Communications Ltd of New Zealand
for Horowhenua Library Trust (koha is a Maori word) and is now
maintained by a team of developers from around the globe.

that's right ... it's free

Koha is free software, released under the GNU General Public
License and is available to download. If you would like a quote
for paid installation, support or development, Turo Technology
LLP offers that, or there are people available throughout the
world. Otherwise, you can ask the users and developers.

Hope that helps,

--
MJ Ray (slef), K. Lynn, England, email see http://mjr.towers.org.uk/