[Koha-devel] playing with the zebra on cvs head

Chris Cormack chris at katipo.co.nz
Sat Aug 13 16:14:07 CEST 2005

Hi Paul

> 5- questions :
> ==============
> for instance, item status are not stored in the marc record (being
> issued...) It means that when the user issues a catalogue query, if
> there is 20 resulting biblios, with 35 items, Koha has to check status
> of those 35 items.
> We can :
> * do nothing, the cpu needed is not so big.
> * embeed the item status. It means everytime the status is modified
> -issue/return/transfert-, the record has to be updated (cpu consumming
> too ?)
> * add a checkbox "show item status" on search screen (with orderby).
> disabled by default, would means "don't check status".

By status we are checking onloan, lost etc? We also would want to be
able to search by branch. So we would need to check holdingbranch also.
So we would need to make sure that was stored in the zebra idx, if we
choose to do it this way.

 From what ive observed at library's. Circulation needs to be the
fastest process, searching comes second. If we can get get the item info
into the zebra index without causing a performance hit when issuing and
returning, that would be cool. But I wouldnt like to slow circulation down.

Chris
--
Chris Cormack                                      Katipo Communications
Programmer                                         www.katipo.co.nz