[Koha-devel] Kea site for new Koha website

Russel Garlick russel at katipo.co.nz
Wed Aug 31 21:22:16 CEST 2005

Hi Guys,

Third time is a charm on the CMS front.We have setup the templates that
Shaun built in the Kea CMS. So we are ready to start populating with
Content.

Couple of things about Kea.

DOCUMENTATION
We have some user documentation for Kea on our website.
http://www.katipo.co.nz/clients/helpdesk/keatutorials/

They are in dire need of updating, and we are working away at that. But
the main difference you will notice is in the page editor itself. The
Koha edit site is using a rich text editor based on Htmlarea.

So whilst tutorials 2, 3 and 4 aren't much help anymore. Most of
tutorials 1 and 5 remain relevant.

Tutorial 1
http://www.katipo.co.nz/clients/helpdesk/keatutorials/tutorial1/

Tutorial 5
http://www.katipo.co.nz/clients/helpdesk/keatutorials/tutorial5/

EDITING
I have made holder pages as per the site map ready to be populated with
content.

You can use either the Edit Content or Edit Source to enter content.

Edit Content will take you to the Rich Text Editor, Edit Source gives
you just that.

EDIT CONTENT
Anything that is highlighted blue is editable through edit content. Just
click on the text and you are away.

A word of warning - you can copy and paste directly from word, but this
tends to go badly. The special word characters tend to be rendered
badly. What we normally do is paste into notepad and then select and
copy again into the editor. You lose all your formatting, but at least
you lose all the bogus formatting too!

EDIT SOURCE
If you are more comfortable just editing the source code, then go for it.

Look for the <!--+Katipo+start name="maincontent"--> and
<!--+Katipo+end--> tags, these denote your content blocks. Please don't
- you will flatten all the includes, which will make it hard to apply
site wide changes.

TEMPLATES
We have loaded two templates for starters.
1- plain-2column.txt - The FAQ page template
2- Plain Style - A very basic template complete with Latin holder text -
see - http://koha2.edit.katipo.co.nz/legal-notices.html

Shaun if you look at the source of the template files, you will see that
they are a collection of Server Side Include calls. Bob has broken your
template up into separate include files which can be found in
/includes/structure/

The style sheets are /includes/css/

The homepage has been uploaded as a straight html file.

MAKING A NEW PAGE - USING A TEMPLATE AND AUTO NAVIGATION
So how to make a new page, in the file manager screen, enter a file name
into the new file field (don't worry about a file extension).

This will take you to a new page. Here you can enter the Page title
(used for breadcrumbs and site navigation), description, keywords etc.

I will do a session on the Page Reviews and Public Notifys on irc
sometime. Just ignore these for the moment.

The Auto Navigation Settings give you some control over how the page
appears in the LHS nav. If the page title is really long you can give it
a short name. The priority is used to change the order of the links in
the side nav. The default is alphabetical. Changing the priority of a
page to 1 will take it to the top of the LHS nav. If there are 2 pages
with priority 1, then the order of the two pages is decided alphabetically.

Let me know if you have any problems with the autonav. It has a couple
of bugs in it that show their ugly head from time to time and there is a
work around for these. The normally only show their head when a site is
live.

UPDATING THE LIVE SITE/TRIGGERING/NOTIFYING
At the moment we have not connected this up to a live site.

When we get a chance we will set up a test site for the edit site to
trigger to. Till then, please don't worry about triggering/notifing pages.

Triggering is a priveledge and at the moment you should all get a Notify
button. This will send a message to me notifing me that you wish to
trigger a page.

MOVING FORWARD

I will take a copy of this page and put it up on
www.russandsarah.gen.nz/kohawebredev/

And finally a big pat on the back to Shaun, I think the site is looking
good, and now we have a sorted out the CMS question, we need some
content and then we are ready to go. So content writers - how are you
all getting on??

I have probably missed some stuff in this email. Any questions about kea
please email me. I'll try to be on IRC as much as possible, but email is
the best way to get my attention.

Cheers

--

Russel Garlick