[Koha-devel] serials & items (primarily for chris)

Paul POULAIN paul.poulain at free.fr
Thu Dec 8 11:40:13 CET 2005

Hello everybody,

One of my libraries would be happy with a new feature : creating items
on the fly when a serial arrives.
the item would have to contain : barcode / itemcallnumber / branch /
itemnote

iirc, chris, you told me you made something in this direction. Am I
wrong ? do you plan to commit something about this ?

otherwise, I could do it. Would be fairly easy I bet :
* add a systempreference add / don't add item when recieving issues
* if YES : add 4 inputs in the screen where the librarian recieves issues
* when saving issue status, if a barcode has been typed :
- create a hash
- use MARCkoha2marcitem to create the MARC record for the item
- NEWnewitem to create the item
- that's all folks !

The second step, a little bit harder : save the link between the item
and the serial issue (items & serials tables). That means we would have
to create a new field in items table.
And then, of course, use the link when showing the item in OPAC (like
showing the serial issue number)

Feel free to comment.

PS : no need to do this in 2.2 atm, maybe just something to add to
RoadMap for 3.0 ;-)
--
Paul POULAIN