[Koha-devel] Design Dilemas

Rachel Hamilton-Williams rachel at katipo.co.nz
Tue Jan 25 18:15:03 CET 2005

Hi guys,

I've got a dilema, that I need some help resolving I think.

As you know I've been doing some new concepts for the koha templates,
and have (as per usual) inadvertantly done some things that I think
involve more than just changing the CSS.

Specifically,

* on the opac homepage making the language options *not* a drop but
instead clickable links

* generally re-arranging the "order" things

I've also added in some new functionality, but I'm happy to let that go :-)

SO my question is a ground level "how do the templates work"  If I think
there are things "wrong" with the CSS templates, that can't be fixed in
styles, what should I do?  If I get changes made to the CSS template,
what will break?

Over the last couple of years there have been some specific aspects of
the layout of the pages that clients have consistently wanted changed,
and while we did make a version of templates that addressed those issues
for 2.0, of course they don't work now with 2.2.

There are some issues, which are essentially one of colour, font, size,
etc and they are easily addressed.

But other issues - where essentially I think something is in the "wrong
place" or the "wrong sort of interface" - ie links not drop downs and
vice versa - what should I do.  I can get it coded into "katipo"
templates, but as I understand it, unless Paul you adopt those changes
to your templates, when we upgrade, it may all fall appart?

Should I "bug" architecture issues with particular pages, and perhaps
supply the soloutions? OR is everyone else basically happy with how they
are?

Help :-)

cheers