[Koha-devel] Website / ID Meeting Notes

Paul POULAIN paul.poulain at free.fr
Fri Jul 1 01:12:43 CEST 2005

Joshua Ferraro a écrit :
> Meeting Notes for Website / Interface Design Meeting
> 1. Koha.org Website
>  We discussed Russ's report:
>   http://www.russandsarah.gen.nz/kohawebredev/
>
> a. folks need to look at the wireframes and give feedback to russ

if i see correctly http://russandsarah.gen.nz/gallery/kohadev/aaa?full=1
we plan to have Koha >> About Koha >> Koha presentation >> slides ?
I would divide Koha presentations in chapters, one for each "module"
(acqui, cataloguing, circ, borrowers, opac, parameters, reports, ...)
That's what i did with koha-fr.org & it's important as the number of
pages for each module can become important (& i've a FAQ page for each,
to avoid a question being asked 1000 times)

> b. some feedback was given about objective and scope:
>
>    opencms was introduced as a product: opencms.org
>     some question was raised as to whether opencms or mambo would be
>     a better choice
>     mambo supports multiple languages and we're not sure if opencms does
>
>    the koha team will be 'koha project managers' with bios, emails at
>     koha.org, and maybe even images to lend credibility to the project
>
>    librarians were defined as users
>
>    a media link will be added under 'news'
>
> c. we want to support multiple languages eventually -- at first we'll
>     do the site in english

For me it's not eventually : it's "of course". koha-fr.org get 70
visitors each day. It's graphically awful (or at least poor).
So it's not a question for me : if we get a nice koha.org that supports
many languages, i'll redirect koha-fr.org to koha.org/fr werever possible.

> d. koha-fr.org will have to decide what to do if there are two french koha sites
> f. the site will be mirrored by katipo and maybe by koha-fr and liblime too
no prob for koha-fr.org, the server is mine, i do what i want with it ;-)

> 2. Interface Design:
>
> a. we will design a set of 'programmer templates' -- minimalist templates
>    with only the functions of that template displayed to ease template
>    maintenance for our interface designers
>
> b. we will design a set of 'default templates' and the lead interface
>    designer will be responsible for taking changes from the programmer
>    templates and integrating those into the default templates
>
> c. we will establish a set of guidelines for committing new features to
>    CVS that will ensure that programmers commit only to programmer templates
>    and not to default templates -- so that the ID can ensure QA on those
>    templates

a,b,c sounds great, but do we have volunteer to be template designer &
maintainer, as it's a big & boring job during stable releases, believe me !

> e. the success of this method will depend on all the programmers playing
>    nicely and committing their additions to the minimalist templates in
>    addition to their own project templates

ok for me.

--
Paul POULAIN