[Koha-devel] switching from marc_words to zebra [LONG]

Paul POULAIN paul.poulain at free.fr
Tue Jul 5 01:27:07 CEST 2005

Thomas D a écrit :
>>* marc_biblio, is a table that contains only a few
>>informations :
>>- biblionumber (biblio PK)
>>- bibid (marc PK. It's a design mistake I made, for sure)
> What was the design mistake here?

bibid is useless, biblionumber could have been used.
In other words : for 1 bibid there is 1 and only 1 biblionumber. For 1
biblionumber there is 1 and only 1 bibid. So, bibid <=> biblionumber

>>It should really not be a pain to move to zebra with this
>>structure :
>>every call with a MARC::Record (NEWxxxxyyyy subs) manages the
>>storing of
>>the MARC::Record in marc_* tables. We could replace this code
>>with a
>>zebra insert/update, using biblio.biblionumber as primary key.
>>How to manage biblios and items ? My idea here would be to
>>store biblio
>>+ all items informations in zebra, using a full MARC::Record,
>>that
>>contains biblio and items.
>

> For MARC21, would you use the 852 holdings location and other fields in MARC
> bibliographic?  MARC21 has a MARC holdings format as a separate record type
> from MARC bibliographic, http://www.loc.gov/marc/holdings/echdhome.html .
> UNIMARC now also has a UNIMARC holdings format as a separate record type,
> http://www.ifla.org/VI/8/projects/UNIMARC-HoldingsFormat04.pdf .  I would
> certainly advocate moving towards full use of the available formats but
> perhaps one should approach the question by degrees to preserve development
> resources.

In UNIMARC, there is also what we called "recommandation 995"
(http://www.adbdp.asso.fr/outils/infogestion/r995.htm, in french).
I know no ILS using HoldingsFormat04.pdf description. All uses "reco
995", that simpler by far.

> Curiously MARC21 and its predecessors seem to have left this out of the
> format.  Only the thesaurus is given in the MARC21 record.  The method of
> matching a thesaurus control number is left to the system implementation.

That's exactly what we do in Koha, as we use the $9 (system
implementation ;-) )
This lack makes hard to exchange biblio between libraries.

--
Paul POULAIN