[Koha-devel] Installer for 2.3

Paul POULAIN paul.poulain at free.fr
Tue Jul 19 00:26:59 CEST 2005

MJ Ray a écrit :
> For All Koha Hackers:
> * A new installer is in development.
> * The start is already in CVS. It doesn't work yet.
> * I've read old koha-devel posts and I've looked at other projects,
> so I think I see at least some of the pitfalls.
> * If you think I will break your code, please warn me now.
> * I aim to have this working well by the end of August.
>
> For Joshua:
> I've added myself to the 3.0 roadmap. Hope that's OK.
>
> For Installer Hackers:
>
> Following the installer meeting, I've taken a look at the
> ExtUtils::MakeMaker and ExtUtils::MakeMaker::Tutorial man
> pages, as well as some other articles and it looks like this
> is a reasonable way to go and it might work for koha. I think
> particularly interesting items on the main man page are:
>
>  NAME, DISTNAME, VERSION (which are fairly obvious)
>  PREREQS_PM (our dependencies)
>  CONFIGURE (which might do the autodetection and Q&A if wanted)
>  PM (what installs where) and
>  PL_FILES (scripts that write files, perhaps autodetecting)
>
> I have started the ball rolling by adding Makefile.PL to the CVS
> HEAD. I have also removed some other files (Makefile Make.conf.in
> C4/Makefile.PL C4/MANIFEST) which seemed to be in the way.
>
> My next step is to use buildrelease and Install.pm to determine
> which files in the source tree belong where in the installed tree
> and write that into the Makefile.PL - at the moment, this will
> make the Makefile.PL very very big, mainly because of translated
> templates. I'd rather pack one set of templates and the po files,
> but which set? I'll do this this week, one way or another.
A good solution would be to have :
- only english templates in public version.
- let the user choose which them he wants to install (+ default, always
included)
- let the user choose which language he wants to install for the themes
he choose (& create the corresponding templates)

I also have one request for the new installer : the possibility to
choose SQL files to import during installation is very important. At the
moment, it's under-used, but it's a very useful feature. For example, I
have in my pockets, a sql file to setup a 100% working Koha for a small
french public library. With all datas required (frameworks, borrower
categories, item types, default issuing rules...)
I also hope to be able to add for 2.2.4 some sample DB (one in french,
one in english. JOSHUA : don't forget to send me a mysql dump of you
sample DB)

--
Paul POULAIN