[Koha-devel] Zebra Searching

Joshua Ferraro jmf at liblime.com
Tue Jun 14 11:22:13 CEST 2005

On Tue, Jun 14, 2005 at 11:19:06AM +0100, MJ Ray wrote:
> Joshua Ferraro <jmf at liblime.com> wrote:
> Is this for indexing the koha holdings only, or can it be used to
> talk to the outside world?
Zebra can fully index a MARC record; it also runs as a Z39.50 server
at a high level of compliance to the protocol (support for ranking
and stemming).

> What do zebra searches look like to the user? I admit, I took a
> look at the test a while ago when on IRC and didn't get far.
Zebra searches now look horrible to the user -- but when we
package Zebra as the backend biblio retrieval engine it's transparent
to the user (looks identical to our current system). But it gets
more complex because with Zebra we're already pulling out the
whole marc record when we do a search, so we should really not
discard everything but the biblionumber. So the question becomes:
what is MARC good for and what is Koha good for?

--
Joshua Ferraro               VENDOR SERVICES FOR OPEN-SOURCE SOFTWARE
LibLime                  Koha ILS, Mambo Intranet, DiscrimiNet Filter