[Koha-devel] Images in Koha documents

Stephen Hedges shedges at skemotah.com
Fri May 20 10:17:13 CEST 2005

A couple of questions came up (briefly) in yesterday's IRC meeting about
how to insert images into kohadocs, so I thought I'd explain how I've been
handling them.

First of all, I do all the docs in DocBook xml, almost always as an
article.  I use XMLMind (http://www.xmlmind.com/xmleditor/) to make the
process easier.  Then I convert the finished xml source to html and pdf,
and store all three versions on kohadocs.org.

To get XMLMind to include images in the html files it creates (without
paying for the expensive full version of XMLMind), the images have to be
in gif format.  Getting images into pdf files has been a problem, since I
have yet to find a DocBookXML->pdf converter that can handle them.  So for
Nick's "Koha Architectural Study," for example, I used Scribus to manually
create a high-quality pdf file (very time-consuming) and converted all the
images to tif format.  I use gimp to do all these conversions, and would
use svg format instead of tif for the pdf files, except the gimp can't
handle that kind of conversion.

So that's how I've been doing it.  I _welcome_ suggestions for better ways
to handle images, particularly for the pdf files.

Stephen

--
Stephen Hedges
Skemotah Solutions, USA