[Koha-devel] Serials and MARC

Spencer Anspach sanspach at gmail.com
Sat Oct 8 11:04:29 CEST 2005

I think MARC *holdings* are meant. Any time I've been involved with
discussions of MARC in the context of serials, the implied meaning is MARC
holdings records--that's the most important part to serials catalogers.
 Spencer

 On 10/8/05, Stephen Hedges <shedges at skemotah.com> wrote:

> I guess I'm not fully understanding the problem here. You already have to
> create a biblio record in Koha before you can add a serials subscription.
> So if you're using MARC biblios, I would assume you create a MARC record
> for the serial. For MARC 21, LoC gives an example:
> http://www.loc.gov/marc/bibliographic/serial.html.
>
> Holdings are another matter -- we *do* have a problem there. But it seems
> Koha otherwise already allows for MARC records for serials.
>
> (What did I misunderstand?)
>
> Stephen
>
> Joshua Ferraro said:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I've been speaking to a couple of US law libraries who are very
> > interested in Koha. All seems well except for one hitch: they
> > require that serials be MARC-compliant. So my question is, what
> > would be involved in 'linking' a serial to a MARC record? Also,
> > what would be the best way to handle 'holdings' in such a
> > scenerio. There are likely some funds available to get Koha where
> > it needs to be so let's try to figure out what the best way to
> > proceed is ... any comments?
> >
> > Cheers,
> > --
> > Joshua Ferraro VENDOR SERVICES FOR OPEN-SOURCE SOFTWARE
> > President, Technology migration, training, maintenance, support
> > LibLime Featuring Koha Open-Source ILS
> > jmf at liblime.com |Full Demos at http://liblime.com/koha |1(888)KohaILS

> --
> Stephen Hedges
> Skemotah Solutions, USA
> www.skemotah.com <http://www.skemotah.com> -- shedges at skemotah.com

Spencer M. Anspach, Library Systems Analyst/Programmer
Library Information Technology, Indiana University
Library E456 phone: (812) 856-5318
Bloomington, IN 47405 fax: (812) 856-4979
sanspach at indiana.edu pager: (812) 335-7403