[Koha-devel] The future of Koha (some ideas and thoughts) [IMPORTANT] (I hope) and [LONG] (not so)

Nathan Gray kolibrie at southernvirginia.edu
Fri Sep 2 07:39:05 CEST 2005

On Fri, Sep 02, 2005 at 03:44:03PM +0200, Paul POULAIN wrote:
> It means having a code structure modular enough to be able to install a
> brick without all the others.
>
> Just one technical proposal, about code organization :
> We could have, under koha-cvs, one directory for each brick :
> * /opac/ for web portal (yes, we already have it !!!)
> * /core/ for the common and core scripts (I think actual modules :
> parameters, reports and members)
> * /ils/ for ils part of Koha suite (I think actual acquisition,
> cataloguing, circulation, authorities)
> * /XXX/ for electronic docs management (new brick, does not exist yet)
> * /YYY/ for external source (KB) (new brick too)
> * The /C4/ directory contains every core Perl packages and will be a
> common tool, used by every brick, so it can stay on top level of CVS org.

I've recently been investigating Catalyst (http://catalyst.perl.org) for
work and personal projects.  It is a very nice framework, with
separation of application flow, data management, and layout.  It is very
flexible, and does not constrain a project to certain sets of CPAN
modules, though there are plugins to help with some of the more common
tools.

It is also architected so that an application may run under CGI, mod_perl 1,
or mod_perl 2, which I find nice for development.

-kolibrie