[Koha-devel] Head code cleaning (continuing)

Joshua Ferraro jmf at liblime.com
Thu Sep 22 06:41:36 CEST 2005

On Thu, Sep 22, 2005 at 11:06:23AM +0200, Paul POULAIN wrote:
> Now, the Search.pm contains only search related subs. As the Search API
> will be deeply modified for 3.0/Zebra, the Search.pm will probably
> disappear soon, or be 100% rewritten !!
Sounds great Paul. Thanks for taking care of this.

> getwebbiblioitems => moved to Biblio.pm
> getwebsites => moved to Biblio.pm
> QUESTION about websites : is this code used by someone ? not by me and
> not by anyone with MARC=ON probably, as there are no way to reach
> websites pages.
I don't use those ...

> SUGGESTION :
> We have many subs to read the catalogue. Imho, we have too many. So we
> could probably clean the code a little bit more.
Great idea.

> Another idea would be to split catalogue add/modify/delete and catalogue
> read in 2 subs, as we usually don't need to read and write the catalogue
> in the same script. Would be more clear and could fasten a little the
> code compiling in cgi mode (no effect with mod-perl)
As far as mod_perl goes, I've experimented with using mod_perl2 on Apache2
and the OPAC seems to work fine ... but the Intranet doesn't. When I
turned on warnings to troubleshoot I was met with too many warnings
to be useful (mainly because we don't normally program with warnings on
so some code will throw warnings).

So ... I'd like to institute a policy with HEAD. If you're working on
something, please develop and commit with warnings on. When we're
ready to do a release I'll go in and turn off warnings, but in the
meantime, it will be very useful to ensure that we clean up the code.
(and then I can return to troubleshooting mod_perl2)

In fact, many of the code changes that need to be made to clean things
up (like checking for existance of a variable before using it) should
also speed things up (a bit).

To help 'kick off' the new policy, I'd like to hold a 'Koha Warnings
Meeting' sometime in the next couple of weeks (where we actually go through
and turn on warnings and start fixin stuff ;-)). If you'd like to attend
and have a time preference, send it to me.

> TODO :
> Scripts related to members that are in KOHAROOT should be moved to
> another directory (pay, maninvoice...). Probably something like
> /members/ or a new /accounting/
I like /members/

Cheers,
--
Joshua Ferraro               VENDOR SERVICES FOR OPEN-SOURCE SOFTWARE