[Koha-devel] Itemtype and MARC21 Quandry

Joshua Ferraro jmf at liblime.com
Fri Sep 30 07:53:19 CEST 2005

Hi all,

So here's a problem. Say a library has a system that allows a single
MARC21 record to specify record types within the record in the 852$6
and allows issuing rules to happen on the item level rather than on
the record level. I'm not sure if this is valid MARC21 practice, but
I do know of at lease one system that works this way.

When such a library converts to Koha, only one of the itemtypes is
valid for the whole record, meaning that they will lose the ability
to define issuing rules at the item level. The only solution seems
to be to break up each record into multiple records, one for each
itemtype (as a temporary fix).

So I'm wondering, should we be defining issuing rules at the item
level in Koha 3.0 for MARC21? or should we continue to define them
soley on the record level?

Cheers,
--
Joshua Ferraro               VENDOR SERVICES FOR OPEN-SOURCE SOFTWARE