[Koha-devel] form buttons Vs simple links

Richard Anderson richard at katipo.co.nz
Sun Apr 2 19:25:48 CEST 2006

Pierrick LE GALL wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 06:04:40 -0800
> Joshua Ferraro <jmf at liblime.com> wrote:
>
>> In my opinion, for action links, we could have icons. [...]
>> The only problem with icons is that they often include text which must
>> be translated. If you can find icons that won't include text to
>> include I'm all for it.
>
> Icons without text? That's what we work with everyday (or do I miss
> something?). See some beautiful samples in Tango project gallery page
> [1] or in Jakub Steiner presentation page [2].

I think we should really avoid using images in the Koha templates as
much as possible. While icons may be individually small in size, they
will make a difference to page loading times for libraries with slow
internet connection speeds e.g., rural libraries connected via dial-up
modems.

They could choose to not display images to speed up the page loading
times but then you will need a meaningful "alt" text for each icon in
the language the library uses. So they will need text, as Joshua says.

Cheers,
Richard

--
Richard Anderson