[Koha-devel] template system abuse

Robert Flach, Poet and Critic webmaster at allauthors.com
Thu Apr 13 17:03:09 CEST 2006

I don't do a lot of hacking on koha, and I've never submitted a patch,

though I do use it and am an avid follower of the development list.  (I
am a web application developer by trade though).  So take this for what
it's worth.

It's a bad idea to generate ANY HTML in the code.  Keep the presentation
in the presentation layer (templates).  No matter how obvious or useful
a particular choice may seem now, it will cause you heartache down the
road.

Regarding the select box, Imagine that I as a template designer wanted
to substitute a column of checkboxes or radio buttons for the select
box.  With the proposal below it would be impossible, yet that is merely
a matter of presentation which should be able to be changed only by
modifying the templates.

Adequate objections have already been made to the fully constructed url.

Good luck, and thank you all for a great, robust product.  Keep making
it more robust, don't make it less.
Sincerely,
Robert Flach