[Koha-devel] Reserve system

Chris Cormack chris at katipo.co.nz
Wed Apr 26 11:09:27 CEST 2006

On Wed, Apr 26, 2006 at 10:41:33AM +0200, Pierrick LE GALL said:
> On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 20:28:56 +1200
> Chris Cormack <chris at katipo.co.nz> wrote:
>
> > Hmmm, no what Owen is meaning, suppose an item is out on loan, and
> > you want it to be flagged when its returned a librarian could place a
> > reserve on it. And when its returned the reserve will pop up.
>
> OK, there must be something I don't understand because I would have
> thought in that case the librarian would have flagged a biblio, not a
> specific item. What can be the reasons for a librarian to place a
> reserve on a specific item?

For some of the reasons owen gave, it may be damaged and you want to grab it
the next time its returned to repair it. Or it may be that a specific item
you want to send to another branch. So when its returned you want it to flag
so you can deal with it.

> > Maybe, but I as a borrower would be annoyed if I placed a reserve on
> > a book, and the librarian issued it to a person who reserved it after
> > me.
>
> I understand (this is why I wondered why it was possible to cancel a
> reserve and even to issue a reserved biblio).
>
> In the example given by Owen, how does the librarian know borrower B1
> is really the husband/boyfriend/brother on borrower B2?

Often librarians know their patrons well :) especially in public libraries.
There are all sorts of reasons why someone might want to a biblio that has a
reserve on it. Generally if a borrower has found the book on the shelf .. you dont want to
say you cant have this because our system failed and we put a reserved book
on the shelves.
So you issue it, but dont cancel any reserves.

Or a borrower who has a reserve on a biblio, finds a copy of it, and takes
it up to the issue desk. Now since the library has made a mistake, (ie a
reserved book shouldnt be on the shelf) we have the option to issue it and
cancel their reserve, or say sorry this is on reserve for someone else.
But we should give the library the option to choose.

Hope this is some help

Chris
027 4500 789                                       Katipo Communications Ltd
chris at katipo.co.nz                                          www.katipo.co.nz