[Koha-devel] QA on Stable Branch

Paul POULAIN paul.poulain at free.fr
Thu Aug 31 16:43:14 CEST 2006

Pierrick LE GALL a écrit :
> Hi Koha core community,
>
> Joshua wrote:
>
>> Now that pierrick has retired as QA manager ...
>
> I would like to give an external point of view, a kind of advice due to
> my experience on widely distributed project: on a stable branch, no new
> feature. Not even a single new field or anything. Only bug correction. I
> would even say: only trivial bug and blocking bug. Keep bug with
> workaround for next stable branch.

Hi Pierrick,

I agree with what you say, but you have forgotten one important point :
we don't have users, we have ... customers ...
And we can't limit our stable branch too strictly, otherwise our
libraries won't adopt Koha.

I frankly think we do what is the best : improving the software on the
stable branch, with non-core features. I mean features that don't affect
the DB schema.
I decided to release Koha 2.0.0 3(?) years ago, not because it was bug
free or feature complete, but because it was DB stable.

Since 2.0.0, we added only 3 or 4 minor fields in the database, none of
them being important.

But now, the new deal is that 3.0 is not too far. So I think we should
put our (limited) strengthes on it, and keep 2.2 as it is and just fix bugs.

--
Paul POULAIN et Henri Damien LAURENT
Consultants indépendants