[Koha-devel] zebraop commented [for joshua 1st]

Tümer Garip tgarip at neu.edu.tr
Wed Dec 6 15:45:54 CET 2006

Hi Paul,
The issue of ZEBRA updates being slow does not get resolved in zebra 2.0
either.
However if you check code in head for zebraop and zebraopserver you will
see that the only solution (and working without error) i found is not to
update the zebra but to write  a new table zebraqueue the
biblionumber,server,actiontotake.
Another process called zebraqueue_start in z3950 folder runs full time
as a deamon and checks this table at set times. Time interval is set at
preferences 'zebrawait' in seconds. Currently mine is set to 30 seconds
and with around 2000 updates a day zebra can cope with it. On very busy
periods changing the system pref to 10 minutes can save the circulation
desk but i only had to do that once in 2 months.
Regarding zebra updates and zebra crashes we have not been getting any
crashes since we stopped using shadow files(contrary to what zebra
documentation says).
I can say that this method of asynchronous zebra update and no shadow
files is working and you should look into implementing it in rel_3 as
well before SUN-OP goes live.

Cheers,
Tümer