[Koha-devel] Re: [Koha] Koha ZOOM install

Joshua Ferraro jmf at liblime.com
Thu Dec 7 18:14:39 CET 2006

Hi Jama,

Sorry for the silence ... been a busy week.

On Wed, Dec 06, 2006 at 01:01:06PM +0100, Jama Poulsen wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 06, 2006 at 09:30:43AM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> > Jama Poulsen <jama at debianlinux.net> wrote:
> > > Oke, I'm going to study the the rel_3_0 sources a bit to see if I could
> > > create something resembling a /koha package, after which I'd like to try
> > > and automate things if useful and possibble (eventough it may not be stable
> > > yet).
> >
> > Take a look at the Makefile.PL and perldoc ExtUtils::MakeMaker - I'm
> > not sure whether anyone has taken that forwards since my initial work.
>
> I'm now looking at working with the Makefile.PL setup within the rel_3.0 tree.
>
> Some first remarks:
>
> - I believe "DBD::MySQL" should be named "DBD::mysql" (see: http://cpan.uwinnipeg.ca/module/DBD::mysql)
makes sense.

>   - Any idea how to turn off the (write) tests for DBD::mysql?
>     Or do I have to enter my root password somehwhere in a file?
that seems like a bad idea ... but I'm not sure of the alternative.

>       This test requires a running server and write permissions.
>       Please make sure your server is running and you have permissions, then retry.
>       t/insertid...........DBI connect('test','',...) failed: Access denied for
>       user: 'root at localhost' (Using password: NO) at t/insertid.t line 13
>
> - Module requirements
>
>     - Current modules:
>         'DBI' => 1,
>         'Date::Manip' => 1,
>         'DBD::mysql' => 1,
>         'HTML::Template::Pro' => 1,
>         'Digest::MD5' => 1,
>         'MARC::Record' => 2.0,
>         'MARC::Charset' => 0.95,
>         'MARC::File::XML' => 0.83,
>         'Mail::Sendmail' => 1,
>         'PDF::API2' => 1,
>         'Net::LDAP' => 1,
> 	'XML::Simple' =>1,
> 	'XML::LibXML' => 1.58
>
>     - Extra modules:
> 	- Event
> 	- Net::Z3950
> 	- Net::YAZ
> 	- Class::Accessor
> 	- PDF::Reuse::Barcode
> 	- Data::Random
> 	- Net::Z3950::ZOOM
> 	- C4 (and  C4::Context)
> 	- MARC::Crosswalk::DublinCore
> 	- Lingua::Stem
>
> 	- Any other modules I missed?
Event is no longer needed. Net::Z3950 should be Net::Z3950::ZOOM
I'm sure there are others, I'll try to track down a list.

>     - Should we not specify some modules as optional, but print a warning
>       that some functionality will not be available in the frontend/backend?
>       Eg for:
> 	Net::LDAP
> 	PDF::API2
> 	PDF::Reuse::Barcode
Yes, that makes sense.

>        - Should we register the activated (but optional) functions for later use,
> 	 like a kind of plugin system?
Cool idea ...

> - The "PL_FILES" option usage should not conflict with package distribution things I think,
>   but still allow for a manual install. So maybe there needs to be some trimming there.
>   I need to look more into this.
cool.

> - Would it be a good idea to research into using the "PPM_INSTALL_SCRIPT" option in the
>   Makefile.PL to do other (non-perl module) detection and configuration work before the
>   "make install" step? (Perhaps this has already been discussed on IRC or this list?)
Good idea ... not sure if anyone's working on that, but I don't recall
hearing anything ...

>   External package (detection / configuration) to deal with:
>
>     - configure Apache / Apache2
>       - provide a standard includable example that fits with the standard koha setup.
> 	- How about a "/etc/koha" directory where we can put the "apache-koha.conf" and the "koha.xml"?
> 	- Let the user/distribution activate the config in apache itself.
I think our goal should be to keep everything related to Koha in a
single directory -- so it's completely isolated from the rest of the
system ... so koha/etc makes more sense to me.

>     - yaz (versioning important)
very ...

>     - zebra server (versioning important)
>       - start/stop/etc. system
>       - configuration
> 	- should we put the z3950-daemon-options (or simple call it zebra.conf)
> 	  in /etc/koha for now? (Until there is some general server package availble.)
Not sure about this one ... I'll give it some thought.

>     - Setup the CGI environment (this
>       - see next item.
>
>     - Setup the non-executable web server documents
>       - Any ideas what would be best to do here?
> 	- Perhaps let the user/distribution copy a pre-made set of
> 	  documents to the web server location, and change the permission.
/me doesn't have an opinion on that ... anyone else?

> - Anything else that should be done for good packaging?
Well for one, you need CVS access ;-). Send me your username on savannah
and I'll set that up.

Cheers,