[Koha-devel] Subject heading translation in Z.3950 records

José Parrella joseparrella at gmail.com
Sun Dec 10 19:24:35 CET 2006

Greetings,

Is anyone working with heading translation in the Z3950 modules? I had
an idea about translating MARC 650 fields from a Z3950 records, so the
subject headings are "translated" when they are imported into Koha. As
of now, I'm using Lingua::Translate to translate 650a records taken from
LOC's Z3950 server from english to spanish.

I would like to work on this feature if nobody's working on that, or if
the new Z3950 features are not going to change that much in next
releases. I've currently accomplished this through a last-minute access
to the proper MARC::Field in the desired MARC::Record before it gets
into the marc_breeding table. I'm yet to do several stuff, like trying
to integrate this into the parameters system and providing other
options, like Tie::'ing to a dictionary (definitely Babelfish
translations aren't that accurate)

Two brief questions: is z3950_results going to be used from now on? and,
only 650a records are taken into account by Koha? Also, please let me
know if there's something blatantly wrong in what I'm doing.

Thank you very much for your time,
Jose

--
José M. Parrella -> Debian Sid, k2.6.17.13
Escuela de Ingenieria Electrica