[Koha-devel] Re: [Koha-zebra] ZOOM seg fault

Mike Taylor mike at miketaylor.org.uk
Wed Feb 1 15:27:07 CET 2006

> Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 15:01:14 +0100
> From: Paul POULAIN <paul.poulain at free.fr>
>
> > $ sudo apt-get install electric-fence
>
> apt-get does not exist on mandriva, it's not a standard package, but
> rpmfind gave me what I was looking for :

That's cool.

> (gdb) set environment LD_PRELOAD libefence.so.0.0
> (gdb) run test_cql2rpn.pl
> Starting program: /usr/bin/perl test_cql2rpn.pl
>
>    Electric Fence 2.2.0 Copyright (C) 1987-1999 Bruce Perens
> <bruce at perens.com>
>
>    Electric Fence 2.2.0 Copyright (C) 1987-1999 Bruce Perens
> <bruce at perens.com>
>
>    Electric Fence 2.2.0 Copyright (C) 1987-1999 Bruce Perens
> <bruce at perens.com>
>
>    Electric Fence 2.2.0 Copyright (C) 1987-1999 Bruce Perens
> <bruce at perens.com>
>
>    Electric Fence 2.2.0 Copyright (C) 1987-1999 Bruce Perens
> <bruce at perens.com>

Gosh, he really does like to see his own name in print, doesn't he?  :-)

> Reading symbols from shared object read from target memory...(no
> debugging symbols found)...done.
> Loaded system supplied DSO at 0xffffe000
> (no debugging symbols found)
> (no debugging symbols found)
> (no debugging symbols found)
> (no debugging symbols found)
> (no debugging symbols found)
> (no debugging symbols found)
> (no debugging symbols found)
> (no debugging symbols found)
> (no debugging symbols found)
> [New Thread -1211459360 (LWP 310)]
>
>    Electric Fence 2.2.0 Copyright (C) 1987-1999 Bruce Perens
> <bruce at perens.com>
> QUERY : test at test_cql2rpn.pl line 10.
> ICI at test_cql2rpn.pl line 15.
> LA at test_cql2rpn.pl line 17.
> /usr/bin/perl: symbol lookup error:
> /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.7/i386-linux/auto/Net/Z3950/ZOOM/ZOOM.so:
> undefined symbol: ZOOM_query_cql2rpn

Well, that's just weird.  It looks like you're getting an ...

*lightbulb*

OK.  Here is the deal.  From the top of the NEWS file in the CVS HEAD
of the YAZ toolkit:

	--- NOT YET RELEASED

	ZOOM-C now support client-side compilation of CQL into RPN that is
	sent to the server, enabling CQL to be used against all Z39.50
	servers.  Use ZOOM_query_cql2rpn() to set the compiled CQL into a
	ZOOM_query object, and submit it using ZOOM_connection_search().
	The CQL-to-RPN translation uses a configuration file, the name of
	which must be specified in the Connection's "cqlfile" option.

	ZOOM-C also support CQL scanning, via the new ZOOM_connection_scan1()
	function, which takes as its start-term parameter a ZOOM_query object
	(which may have had either CQL or RPN set into it).

	--- 2.1.10 2005/11/29

	Added ZiNG Update Support. New codecs are defined in srw.h. Extended the
	GFS to support this as well. Backend handler, bend_srw_update, does the
	update work. Code contributed by Ko van der Sloot.

	[...]

In other words, it's precisely correct to say that the symbol you're
linking against doesn't exist, because (IIRC) you're using YAZ 2.1.10.

Why it took ElectricFence to get the system to admit this, rather than
just seggy-faulting, is left as an exercise for the reader (i.e. I
don't know).

So before we continue, you need to upgrade to YAZ 2.1.11.  The only
tiny problem with this plan is that it doesn't yet exist, because it
still awaits release.  You could wait for Adam to make the release; or
you can probably use one of the new nightly builds ... except that I
don't recall where they are, and they don't seem to be linked from
	http://indexdata.com/yaz/

Adam, please remind me where they are?

/o ) \/  Mike Taylor  <mike at miketaylor.org.uk>  http://www.miketaylor.org.uk
)_v__/\  "Any statements to the effect that this parrot is still a going
	 concern are henceforth inoperative" -- _Dead Parrot_ sketch,
	 Monty Python's Flying Circus.