[Koha-devel] Re: [Koha-zebra] zebra config problem (still 0, yes, really 0 !)

Sebastian Hammer quinn at indexdata.com
Thu Feb 9 19:25:50 CET 2006

Mike Taylor wrote:

>>Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2006 12:02:11 +0100
>>From: Paul POULAIN <paul.poulain at free.fr>
>>
>>This time it seems zebra work for both indexing and search.
>>

>Excellent news!
>

>>What has to be done :
>>* benchmarking : it seems the zebraidx update is faster than lightning
>>(400biblios/sec : 10 000biblios in 25seconds), while ZOOM indexing is
>>slow (something like 25biblios/second) More benchmarking could be done.
>>

>That is a surprising difference, since as you no doubt know, "ZOOM
>indexing" is merely the use of ZOOM to pass the records to Zebra for
>indexing.  I flatly refuse to believe that the communication layer is
>responsible for a slow-down by a factor of 16, so something else is
>going on here.  My best guess is that "zebraidx update" is making use
>of caching mechanisms that ZOOM's update requests are not benefiting
>from.  There may be a way to have ZOOM request that caching: Adam will
>be able to tell us.

I don't particularly refuse to believe the factor 16. Network overheads
are very expensive.

I think you're only transfering one record at a time, right? That's bad
for network latency in itself, but I dunno if either the client API or
the server will let us do more at a time.. it might be worth
considering, because adding more records at a time is generally a lot
faster (per record) than adding single records.

One thing to try, if you don't already do it, is to use a UNIX domain
socket if your server and client run on the same site..

zebrasrv unix:s

Will listen on a socket called 's'... since Unix Domain sockets
circumvent the network stuff and work just like pipes, they can be tons
faster... I usually use this when using Zebra as an embedded engine. I'm
hoping Mike's ZOOM Perl wrapper won't prevent you from using this option
of the lower-layer tool.

--Seb