[Koha-devel] BIG BIG problem (utf8 & mySQL)

Paul POULAIN paul.poulain at free.fr
Wed Feb 15 17:14:24 CET 2006

Hello,

(I cc: mike Rylander in case the pines guys have another solution...)

I continue investigating the utf8 stuff. I have a very very bad feeling
: it seems that Perl DBI::mysql does not handle utf8 correctly.
Here are some links :
http://www.cpanforum.com/threads/654
http://lists.mysql.com/perl/3714
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=msql-mysql-modules&m=111970179409036&w=2
http://lists.mysql.com/perl/3006?f=plain

If I read correctly, there are only 2 ways to solve this :
* bug DBD::mysql maintainer to have the fix included. Would require an
official release, an upgrade of DBD::mysql, but it's a better solution
in the long term.
* modify EVERY SQL query to Encode::decode_utf8() every value. A quite
huge task !

I have modified one script (marc_subfield_structure.pl), and everything
works fine with Encode::decode_utf8 (and don't work without it)
--
Paul POULAIN et Henri Damien LAURENT
Consultants indépendants