[Koha-devel] BIG BIG problem (utf8 & mySQL)

Paul POULAIN paul.poulain at free.fr
Fri Feb 17 15:33:03 CET 2006

Tümer Garip a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> Our production system koha is utf8 on a windows platform. I do not know
> whether its different in Unix but here is the solution we found.
>
> Any read-writes to mysql is through biblio.pm so we saved the biblio.pm
> as an utf8 file.
> (Windows gives you the opportunity of saving a text file in
> ANSI(iso8859), utf8 or unicode(16bit).)
> This sorted out 2 problems:
> 1-Reading,writing from db and display is allways utf8
> 2- Char_decode subroutine works correctly when importing MARC into Koha
>
> I believe what this does is something similar to Pauls smiley solution
> simply and effectively. With this we did not even need binmode(STDOUT,
> ":utf8") either which is very cleverly debugged by Paul.
>
> Hope it helps,

No, this doesnt. But maybe you could tell us :
* which mySQL version you have.
* what encoding you use in your table ?
* you speak of Biblio.pm. But unicode can be anywhere else : in borrower
name for example, or in branchname. What happends if you try to add a
"true unicode" character in a branch name/borrower ? Does everything
works as well ?

anyway, i'll try to save my script as utf-8, and report if it changes
something.
--
Paul POULAIN et Henri Damien LAURENT
Consultants indépendants