[Koha-devel] Re: [Zebralist] utf-8, probable solution

Paul POULAIN paul.poulain at free.fr
Fri Feb 17 15:33:10 CET 2006

Sebastian Hammer a écrit :
> Paul,
>
> this confirms our impressions at Index Data.. somehow, while PHP has
> managed to approach Unicode in a way that mostly 'just works' (probably
> by not doing more than necessary to it), Perl seems to have all kinds of
> internal logic which has the effect of making  Unicode really, really
> complicated and unintuitive. We had two guys spending a week or so each
> trying to make heads or tails of the UTF-8 tutorial, and still we felt
> at the end like we were fudging around the problem rather than really
> solving it well.
>
> I'm *not* fond of Perl's approach to Unicode.

I skope with a french guy involved in Perl a lot (Paul Gaborit)
It seems that the 5.8.x Unicode handling in Perl had a major goal :
change nothing to previous scripts, that must continue working in 5.8 as
well as they used to work in 5.6
That's why Perl tries to find what you want to do, and if you don't
force it to speak utf8, it will revert back to something more compatible
with "old world"

Not a bad solution I think, except it's a solution hard to find.

Another problem we still have it seems, it that DBD::mySQL seems to be
handling poorly utf8 mysql :-(

--
Paul POULAIN et Henri Damien LAURENT
Consultants indépendants