[Koha-devel] [mhelman at illinoisalumni.org: Re: [Koha] The '650x' problem]

Joshua Ferraro jmf at liblime.com
Fri Feb 24 17:46:42 CET 2006

----- Forwarded message from BWS Johnson <mhelman at illinoisalumni.org> -----

Salve!

Soooo, if you go to the catalogue you've set up, which makes me want a Corona
;), you'll see that

The complete idiot's guide to dealing with in-laws /
By Rozakis, Laurie E.

gets lumped in with a whole bunch of kid's and adult fiction.

If I were a patron looking for how to handle my in-laws, (right now! they're at
home!!!!) I would have to sort through all of the Family Life listings, even
though, I ought to be able to just view the non fiction adult ones as a
separate string. It gets worse! This entry

http://opac.liblime.com/cgi-bin/koha/opac-MARCdetail.pl?bib=22186

gets lumped in with family life, even though it's about farm life and family
farms. Eeep!

It's interesting to me, because if you do the old fashioned give me a search
string that looks like this

family life -- juvenile fiction

under keyword I'll get this

http://opac.liblime.com/cgi-bin/koha/opac-MARCdetail.pl?bib=23409

And if I do it under subject I'll get this

http://opac.liblime.com/cgi-bin/koha/opac-MARCdetail.pl?bib=23351

It's mashing the 650a s together, which is no good.

In any case, just so it's clear, I do appreciate the work that everyone does. I
know that MARC is old and it's a crappy thing to work with, but many folks
still insist on it because it can sort out things that simple subject searching
doesn't. I want to be on the current Koha version, but I'm having issues at
work, which is preventing me from doing that. My husband thinks a new router
might do the trick, so I'll try and get one. I still get a lot of questions,
but I feel bad about not being current, so I can't upgrade the wiki.

Cheers,
Brooke @ Hinsdale MA

----- End forwarded message -----

--
Joshua Ferraro               VENDOR SERVICES FOR OPEN-SOURCE SOFTWARE