[Koha-devel] Sharing experience with utf-8

Paul POULAIN paul.poulain at free.fr
Tue Jan 3 18:18:10 CET 2006

Tumer Garip a écrit :
> Here is what we had to do to use koha in utf-8 hoping that it helps in
> some of your discussions:

Hi Tumer,

I investigate UTF-8 move for the next 3.0 version. I experience a little
problem :

> 4-       We changed the character set of the database to utf-8 with the
> iso-xxxx data in it. No problem for Mysql as you are moving up the
> ladder. No need to reload the data (10 min)

I already am in mysql 4.1, with iso8859 database collation.
If I change a table and column type to utf8, all datas already in the DB
are not modified.
any data entered is correctly in utf8

What step did you exactly follow to get a utf8 database ?

I see a solution here :
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/charset-conversion.html

but it's really a pain.

There is another possibility, with :
* mysqldump
* iconv on dump
* mysql reload

Could you describe a little bit more what you did ?
--
Paul POULAIN