[Koha-devel] New KOHA3 API -design issue

Paul POULAIN paul.poulain at free.fr
Mon Jul 17 17:20:57 CEST 2006

Tümer Garip a écrit :
> Hi all,

Hi Tümer,

> 2- biblio table now has: biblionumber,marc,itemtype,framework
> 3-items table now has : itemnumber,biblionumber,barcode,marc

I'm *strongly against* dropping all the values. Joshua and me have
spoken of this before, and I really think we MUST kept a minimum of
datas in biblios & items tables.
Like title, author, and all values that already exists.
It won't cost a lot of disk or CPU, and will be very very useful for at
least 2 things :
* debuging Koha
* querying the database with pure SQL.

The other question being also to have iso2709 and (or ?) marcxml in the
datas.
xml is human readable & turned toward future, where iso is more
efficient in term of CPU & disk usage.

> 6- A new koha_attr table added. This one is for creating virtual fields
> which we do not have any more. Also helps matching your own MARC
> indexing rules to KOHA and ZEBRA. (More on this later)

i'm waiting for the "more on this later", because I don't understand
what you mean here...

> 2- All items (holdings) are single marc records, instead of all items in
> one marc record for the same bibliographic record. The main idea behind
> this is flexibility and speed. One full record for an item gives lots of
> fields to put all that information that you wanted to keep but did not
> have extra subfields left. All data including circulation data is kept
> within the marc records, this approach makes circulation updates faster
> as we do not have to reindex unchanged data related to other items again
> (zebra technicalities!).

sounds correct & good idea to me.

> 3- All MARC framework designs have OPAC:show-hide Intranet:show-hide
> Editor:show-show collapsed-hide as dropdown selections so not to wory
> about what we  put in these MARC fields. All handled correctly
> 4- Circulation speed is improved. One marc update instead of 6 sepatrate
> database update calls we used to have.

> The new koha_attr table:
<snip>
> I will be writing more on this issue after the commits but in the mean
> time expect to have your comments on all the issues regarding this
> upgrade.
I still don't understand what it's done for, sorry...

--
Paul POULAIN